Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Wonderful Show at MOMA


So there was an architectural show at the Museum of Modern Art in New York that was very very cool. It was about Yugoslavia and it's love of concrete and brutalist architecture. 



After WWII much of Yugoslavia had been destroyed so they had to rebuild, the did the big building and housing in concrete with futurist designs. Don't get me wrong, these buildings don't age well and I wouldn't want to live there. But as statement buildings and futurist goal, I understand the aesthetic at the time.



One of the best things about the show was they showed the models, next to the actual buildings. In some cases (like the Transmission Tower at the top of the page) the idea flowed through, in other cases, not so much.


Many of the these are now gone, and those that are still there don't hold up well - aside from the memorials. But it was a cool show. The picture above is a memorial to those lost in the wars against fascism - it hasn't aged well. The picture below is of the memorial to Yugoslavian rebels win against the Nazis. This memorial was in the show, but I like the picture I took with myself and the memorial in May better.