Monday, September 07, 2015

My New Tennis Guy

All the photographers are trained
on Rafa (receiving the serve)
With the retirement of Lleyton Hewitt, one must find new people to root for.
.
Of course, Rafa will always have a place in my heart (and other places) - but age is fast closing him on Rafa as well.
.
What this US Open did was show some real other talent that is whipping up the courts.  I think one of the best youngsters is Nick Krygios.  However he is kind of a dick.  I am very impressed watching him play, but I don't like him.  He is overly dramatic and his antics against Stan The Man were tasteless (during a changeover Krygios asked Stan how it felt to have his girlfriend screwed by Krygios' best friend... - only didn't use the polite term screwed).
.
But I watched Bruno Coric, a Croatian living in Dubai, with Barbara.  He gave Rafa all he could handle in the first round.  And, at 18, he should only get better.
.
Last year, at 17, he won the US Open Juniors Championship.  And he stepped up to the regular series this year.
.
So Bruno is my new guy.
.
He was very good Monday night.  Not Krygios good, but not Krygios asshole either, so one makes allowances.  If you google him for pictures you will see kiddie pictures - because he is very young.  He has gotten older.  See below for professional pictures in that same match..
.

.
But I think my favorite are these of Bruno Coric at Rafa Nadal's training camp in 2013 and 2014.  This year a much improved kid played him tough at the US Open in 2015.
.
2013 Camp
.
2014 Camp
.
.
2015 After Rafa won 6-3, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4