Sunday, September 06, 2015

Mascot of the Month: Lleyton Hewitt

It was Lleyton Hewitt's last hurrah at the US Open this year.  He is, after many many good years, retiring.  I love to watch Lleyton.  He is cute as hell - with Eddies' calf muscles and Eddie's determination. But more than than, he never gives up.  He plays and gives an amazing show every time.
.
.
PS - I took that slomo video on Saturday September 5th.  Pretty Good huh?
.
Here he is as the Youngest Top Ranked Player Ever as he won his US Open Championship in 2001.  I went to the Open that year with Lauren and Terri, but we couldn't get on his courts (expensive tickets), but I watched him a lot that year.

.
Here he is in his last US Open singles match this year.
Still playing well (and getting to 5 sets in the 2nd round) 14 years later.

.
In between, here are some pictures I took of him through the years.
I took this on Court 11 in his first round game.
.
Last year (2014) - US Open.
.
Wimbeldon 2014


.
US Open 2013 - Made it to the 4th round

.
The Australian Open in 2004


.
I have watched him at every major - and some minor tournaments.  And while i will watch of lot of tennis for a cute guy - I wouldn't watch that much unless he was a great player.  Lleyton may not have been the most consistent, but he was one of the most fun to watch.  His style was great, his play was fun, he never gave up and you never mis-understood his emotions...
.
Bye Lleyton.  I'll miss you.
.