Monday, September 13, 2004

One night in Bangkok and the world's your...

Surprise to Scooter. I like Bangkok. Not the Buenos Aires I-want-to-buy-a-condo here like it, but the it is a cool vacation place like it.

We meet all morning with the business - which was pretty cool. They have their act kind of together, but they are a slow moving team.

Then this afternoon Christina and I went to the Royal Palace - amazing. And the Jade Buddha - cool. IN the Jade Buddha temple there were probably 400 worshippers chanting and incense bringing. It was cool.

Then we went to the reclining Buddha. I don't know what I expected. I guess I expected a small version of the big one. I think this was the big one. The Buddha is laying in a huge temple. His head is propped up on an elbow (kind of like he is watching TV - but I doubt that was the inspiration), Fully standing I didn't reach the beginning of the crock of his elbow. He head was probably 80 feet above me. And the rest of him stretched the length of the temple. Amazing.

Then we went to Jim Thomson's House. I guess he was some American spy (trained as an architect) - turned silk manufacturer (really). He brought like 6 different traditional houses together and made one gorgeous tree house (all of the first floors are empty to be okay in the floods). It was beautiful.

The people are nice. The signs are unreadable - even more so that Japanese or Chinese to me. It seems like they must make sense -but the don't. I mean look at it sometime. It is dense.

I leave tomorrow AM for Hong Kong. bye.......