Monday, January 09, 2006

New Cars at the LA Auto Show - and Why Not

So, I want to go to the LA Auto Show. Ed does not want to go because he is afraid of the "iwannas" (as in I want a new fill-in-the-blank). You see I love my truck, but I do kind of like the new Honda Civic SI and the new Volkswagen EOS (which is a hardtop convertible). They are both cool.

Then this morning I was reminded why I love the truck. I was driving to work along Santa Monica Blvd, and I hear a siren. I can't see anything, but there is a bus blocking my view of a side street (a side street I know that harbors a Fire Station). I apply my brakes and see a car behind me not slow down. I tap them trying to get his attention.

I slowly pass the bus, and see the EMT truck barreling down the road. I stop and , sure as shit, the guy behind me plows underneath me. I hear the scrape, and pull over. He has a slope nosed blue car, which isn't in that bad of a shape since most of the slope went under me (as he was braking).

We get out, he walks to my track and says, "It doesn't look like a lot of damage to you." "Nope," I say, "the truck is fine."

He says, "Well I rather just walk away from this if it is okay with you." No problem and off I go. This is like the 3rd time I have been slightly rear ended in going to work, and no problems with the truck yet. I doubt the Civic SI would hold up as well.