Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Cultural Differences (Non-Rant)

So I work in the International Big Wig Offices (luck of a temporary assignment to be on a cool floor - bad luck to have to wear a tie). One of the interesting things is to see the cultural differences play out.

For instance. Right now a very young, very pretty, very latin woman is up from somewhere south of the border. She wears a pin striped pants suit (very business) with stiletto heels (not so business) and - I think - a scarf with no blouse (very - not so business). Apparently this is acceptable in Venezuela or Ecuador or someplace hot and steamy.

I am getting coffee, and she bounces out of her cubicle and runs into me. Popping her boob back into her jacket, she give me a funny kind of "whoops" smile, and hurries on.

On her hurried way (to a meeting?) she slows down (not stopping, just slowing her stiletto'ed march) to give orders to one of the secretaries here. Not "request", give orders. And she just assumes the secretary will do it. She doesn't even wait for an answer.

Probably just as good as the secretary exhales at her back and cocks her head. She turns back to her monitor and sees me. I smile nervously and joke, "Get right on that." To which she responds, "Oh, you know I will. \/pause\/ Just as soon as I have a free minute." She then leans back in her chair and returns to reading www.msnbc.com <http://www.msnbc.com>.