Friday, October 24, 2008

About This Here Cookin' Book

(To be read completely in character with an annoying Bronx accent)...
.
So, I know (phft) I am a fabyoulush cook. (What can I say, I got looks, brains and I can cook - that's hows you keep a man.)  Let's have no false, what d'ya call it, modesty.  When ya know, ya know.  Be honest with yourselves people.
.
And, news flash Mr.-Border's-I'll-pay-$27.95-for-a-paperback-! I don't go in for those fancy schamcy cook books as a rule.  Let's be honest, they ain't trying to help you cook, they are trying to make you look stupid.  Come on!  A milly liter of a dry, yet precocious red wine?  Are you kiddin' me?  I got myself a nice big glass of Mondavi while I cook, whatever I spill in the sauce.. ehh probably a milly liter.
.
But, let me tell youse.  I got these simple William Sonoma cookbooks (one-pot, week-night, you know the basics) and they are, I shit you not, to die for.  It helps I got a fresh wholesale meat and fruit places across the street.  It's all fresh and cheap.  If it ain't fresh, they don't got.  (Mind you, I only go for the "fresh", the cheap is just good sense.)
.
So I don't haul my ass down to "Whole Foods" where Mrs. Donald Trump gets totally fleeced.  No, I go next door.  If  "escarole" is in season and was grown in Jersey, it's thare.  If it ain't thare, I use another recipe.  Simply as that.  I don't gotta to drag it uptown to Columbus Circle to pay $6.50 a pound for fancy Collard Greens from Chile (FYI- imported - my Aunt Fanny).
.
So there you go.  You want a nice cheap easy cook book, pick up these William Sonoma things (but either use a gift card, or go to a second hand store, their like $17.95 a book! - which, despite the fact there are great- well that is freaking highway robbery.)