Tuesday, March 24, 2009

So I Went and Saw Exit The King tonight

   
Since Ed was away, I went and saw Exit The King tonight.  I wanted to see it because although I admire Geoffrey Rush, like Andrea Martin and Lauren Ambroise, I absolutely LOVE Susan Sarandon.  And it is her first Broadway show since 1972.
.
How was the show?  Way odd.  I am glad I didn't have to review it because it was a TragioComedy Theater of the Absurd translated from Spanish.
.
What does that mean?  Hell if I know.  Parts of it were very very funny.  Andrea Martin is always a hoot.  And Susan Sarandon played the mean Queen great.  Geoffrey Rush and Lauren Ambroise roles both called for ACTing.  In the John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun OVERACTing kind of way.
.
But the last 12 minutes were a strain as Geoffrey Rush dies, oh so slowly.  How do I know it was 12 minutes, because Susan Sarandon told the doctor he would be dead when the play ended.  Announced when the King had 32 minutes and 30 seconds left, and announced when the King had 12 minutes left.  Which is why I know I hated the last 12 minutes.
.
Two observations.
.
1) Susan Sarandon has had one of the best face lifts I have ever ever seen.  And I have seen a lot!  I mean you could tell at the Golden Globes, but I thought maybe makeup hide some scaring.  No.  She looks beautiful.  I want the name of her doctor.
.
2) The guy below is Brian Hutchinson.  He played the Guard (there are only 6 roles, and the doctor was neither famous nor cute, so I don't include him here - which is harsh, but I don't want to be a hypocrite).  I sat next to Brain's boyfriend who almost broke his face from smiling so hard.  It was really sweet.

.