Friday, July 09, 2010

The Tyranny of the Work Week

After working from home for years and not working for a while after that, I am back in the grind. It's fine. I like the job (as much as one can like "work" whose sole output are tools to make the wealthy wealthier).
.
But what is interesting is the tyranny of the work week. I find myself driven now by the Monday to Friday schedule. I remember when I was working before how natural it felt - and it is easy to fall back into it's rhythms.
.
But my fellow hamsters on the spinning wheel of life, it is not normal! What my time working from home showed me was the joy of doing work when it had to be done - be it Monday at 6 AM or 4 PM of Sunday at 2PM. It comes in, you do it and you go back to life.
.
This is why actors and others in LA that work odd hours are happier! It isn't they all "love the craft" - no, they have found the exit from hamster cage. I mean, maybe they love the craft too - but that isn't the only reason.
.
Anyway - that is what I discovered as I walked the dog this morning, thrilled it is Friday. A day that, until a month ago, was only the day the movies changed and Ed was in a good mood.