Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Annoyed

So I saw play tonight and I have to review it. I hated it.
.
Not just because it was confusing, rambling, indulgent and pointless. It was pretty much all that but it was also almost half in Spanish. It was about a family who came from Argentina during the military coup in the 70s / 80s. The father and aunt spoke only Spanish, the mother mainly Spanish, 1 daughter barely spoke at all, 1 daughter cursed like a sailor in English and one daughter whimpered through the whole thing (albeit in English).
.
I wouldn't have minded if I was warned or something. But a LOT of it was in Spanish. Not just chit chat. A LOT of exposition and jokes (at least I assume they were jokes or ironic as about 1/2 the audience laughed during these conversations and arguments in Spanish).
.
I think there should be something in paper or synopsis or something somewhere that it is a bilingual play. I suffered through it, but a lot of non-Spanish speakers left early (including another reviewer who was NOT amused).
.
At first I felt a little non-cosmopolitan -but they didn't even try. The father was a furious, angry man who shouted and spoke very quickly in Spanish. My struggling Spanish was no match although I got the gist most of the time. Although, maybe not - the play made no sense to me.