Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Unclear on the Concept?

Today I was evaluating user names (long story, but not important to this story) and I came across a hyphenated name that was odd. I won't use her name, but I will use an example.
.
The name was like Elizabeth Holiday-Holiday.
.
Why does one hyphenate a last name to the exact same last name? I understand taking a spouse's name, keeping your own name, and hyphenating two different names (Elizabeth Holiday-Mitchell or Elizabeth Holiday or Elizabeth Mitchell). But if you already share a last name, isn't the hyphenating redundant?
.
To wit, Elizabeth Holiday marries Freddy Holiday. And she becomes Elizabeth Holiday-Holiday? That is just silly unless you are trying to make a point that someone finally married you. And that is pretty insecure (or bitchy).
.
Plus, did you marry a cousin. I know it is legal in lots of states (California comes to mind), but still creepy. Don't advertise it.