Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Not Watching: But Enjoying Recaps

So... as you may or may not know (I forget - but heaven knows I tend to tell people what I think :-) - we are NOT watching Dancing With The Stars this year. I can't reward the Bristol Palin / The Situation casting (much as we didn't watch the Tom DeLay year).
.
And not watching the beginning makes it much eaiser not to watch later.
.
Plus we are watching the Event.
.
...having said that, however, I do love the recaps. Here are my favorite comments from Salon's Recaps.....
---------------


Jennifer Grey
I love Jennifer Grey and she danced an incredible jive. But it's really hard not to be more drawn to her partner Derek bopping around like a happy bichon frise puppy. Together, they once again set the bar for the rest of the pack.
Score: 24
.
.
The Situation
The Situation reminds me of one of the third grade boys that I used to teach. He was a huge pain in the classroom but had an easy smile and devilish personality that made you like him anyway, so he got away with more than he should. The Situation has the same naughty appeal. The only problem is that he's not a third grader anymore -- at least not the same age as one -- and on a grownup show like "Dancing with the Stars," he's a guido out of hot tub. The dance was once again a disaster, although this week he got a few props for upping the effort level. Situation unknown.
Score: 18
.
Kurt Warner
Kurt was quite the dandy boy in practice, offering choreography tips and agreeing to spray tan for the love of the performance. I find him disturbingly sexy -- I can only assume because I'm inappropriately homosexualizing his profound love of Jesus in ways that would appall the gays and send me straight to the fiery pits of Baptist hell. So be it. I'm a sucker for simple, sweet jocks -- and I honestly don't think they come much simpler.
I think the dance was fine. I can't actually remember anything specific besides the tight polyester pants.
Score: 21


.
Bristol Palin
Sarah Palin is a little weird. I already knew she wasn't the brightest bulb, but I didn't realize how socially awkward she was until Bristol took her dance partner to Wasilla to meet her mother who coo-ed and ooh-ed about how proud she was of her daughter without exhibiting anything that could be recognized as a genuine emotion. She also flew in for the performance where she sat in the studio audience with the exact same silly Botox-ed smile on her face, wiggling and clapping excitedly whenever the camera panned to her. Perhaps this is mama bear love -- mavericky Alaskan style?
In contrast, Bristol seems to have loosened up a bit and came across as much more relatable and comfortable this week. Her dance was lovely -- even though it was performed to another not-so-subtle choice of song -- "You Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes. You watching, Levi?
Score: 22