Sunday, September 05, 2010

Paul Conrad Dies: An LA Liberal Says So Long


Paul Conrad died yesterday - here is an obit but I have to add a little about me more than him (but then isn't that what we do - we look at life throughour own prism).
.
.
.
.
.
I am a freakishly staunch liberal - I know that.
.
.But in reading Mr. Conrad's Obit, I realize that a lot of this might be due to him.
.
.
.
.
He was the LA Editorial Cartoonist from 1963 (when I was 4) to 1993 (when I was 44). That is a lot of liberal ideoogy to listen to, day in and day out. And I used to read the LA Times daily.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.I loved the Times. How much? When I was in my teens I knew my Mom missed it so much I had the Sunday edition mailed to North Carolina for her. When I attened Grad School in San Diego - I had it delivered daily. Orange County - same thing (no right wing rag Register for Scooter!).
.
London, San Francisco - I trudged to the bookstores a few days (London) or hours (San Francisco) from the Sunday Edition and spent good money to buy the version flown in.
.
.
.
.Eddie even had it printed for me here for a while. Of course, all good things come to an end. Paul Conrad retired.
.
.
.
.
.
The Chicago Tribune bought the LA Times and destroyed it before selling it off to who knows whom (thank goodness I was in New York and didn't have to witness that sad sad story - the screw ups the Tribune introduce nearly killed my spirit!).

.
.
.
.
.
.
And so things change and the world spins.
.
But Paul Conrad gets a head nod from me for making me who I am.
.
I liked his sense of right and wrong. Or responsability in the face of a worls tha never takes responsability.
.
His savage cartoons about the Rodney King Trial are still a little to raw for me to reproduce - I thought they were that honest.
.
.
Anywho - Rest In Peace Paul Conrad. You won three Pulitizer Prizes and a ton of other awards - but more than that, you helped shape peoples opinions. You made them laugh, but more imporantly think.
.




Some of his best Cartoons are here.