Monday, September 19, 2011

I Really Really Liked Drive

You know I hate a violent movie, and a couple of scenes in Drive are violent.  But the good news is you can see them coming and hide your eyes (you can also hear when they are done).

But that is a small aside.  Drive is great.  But I kind of think it is a total "in the theater" experience.  It lulls you in.  I remember thinking - about 1/3 of the way through "this isn't that great", then about 1/2 through thinking "this isn't bad" - then towards the end loving the movie.  But if I was at home, I would have got up to pee and Ed and I would say "Do you like this, cuz I am not sure where it is going" - and maybe turn it off.
.
It is very much a movie that pulls you in - and that works best for me in a theater.  There is a lot.. A LOT.. of silence in this movie.  And they don't hide the awkwardness with music - and it moves from weird to uncomfortable, to scary, to a form of expression over the course of the movie.
.
And, I cannot imagine it with anyone other than Cary Mulligan and Ryan Gosling.  They were perfect.  I really believe the movie changed after their casting (well, I know it did as it was written as an action / adventure for Hugh Jackman - and it was so much less AND MORE than that). They are both beautiful, but more than that they can project a hopefulness that is, in itself, hopeless.  They keep just enough back that you know they are trying to convince themselves of ... something.
.
Okay - it is hard to describe, but great to watch.
.
And driving through LA at night relaxed the lead (Ryan).  I can SO relate.  I can't tell you how many drives up PCH to Malibu I took after a hard day of classes, or a hard day at work, or because I was made at my boyfriend, or I was mad I didn't have a boyfriend, or I was amped up and couldn't sleep, or because it was 2AM and I had to smell the ocean.  Something about LA in the middle of the night behind the wheel is calming.  And adrenaline producing.  And self-erotic.  And this movie gets that.