Thursday, November 10, 2011

Amazing to Watch Someone Grow since I have been in New York

So, one of the amazing AMAZING things in New York has been the theater.  I have loved it!
.
In particular, I have got to review a ton of new work - some great, some good, some terrible (I'm looking at you every talking vagina I have had to listen to!).  But one of the truly wonderful and remarkable things has been to see the growth of individuals.
.
I first saw Charles Socarides in a little off-Broadway show so small he doesn't even have it on his resume.  The show was good, but he blew me away.  Here was a near kid giving life to a role that wasn't really all that convincingly written, making me care about the troubles of a privileged rich kid racked with guilt.  But I bought every second of it.
.
Last night I saw him in Sons of the Prophet at the Roundabout, with major talents (Joanna Gleason and Santonio Fontana!), and he was amazing.  He has a supporting role, but he is a critical catalyst in multiple scenes.
.
And he nailed it.
.
No surprise to me, but thrilling none the less.  It helped, of course, that Santonio Fontana, the lead, and he had this amazing rapport and chemistry.  They worked great together, even when they worked in opposition.
.
Whatever, I am blathering.  Go see it.  Go see Santonio and Joanna and be amazed by the rest of the cast as well.  Particular Charles - all growed up and acting his ass off :-).
Charles (on right) isn't nearly as stiff on stage as this smile would suggest :-) 
Santonio and Charles in Sons of the Prophet