Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Immortals: A Fine Movie (but not as good or as bad as I wanted)

So Eddie and I went with a friend to see Immortals last night.  I really wanted to see, and a friend from work (Kelly) really wanted to see it - and I made Eddie go cuz I wanted him to meet Kelly - a nice guy.
.
Anyway, the movie was fine.  Lots of beefcake (you know, if you're into that), plenty of over-the-top Spartacus type blood and guts (which doesn't bug me like real blood and guts) and it moved apace.
This is Thesius, Henry Cavill (the next Superman).  This is him resting.
His body was crazy stupid.  I don't think anyone on the set every ate food. 
The visuals (outside of the beefcake) were AMAZING.  I really love the aesthetics of the Director, who has mainly done commercials in the past, but he also did The Fall (which I loved) and The Cell (which I couldn't see).
.
Here is the problem with the movie in a nutshell, (delivered in 2 pictures).
.
1. This is Kellan Lutz (who played Poseidon).  He is a handsome fellow, and whoever the wildly gay costumer was knows it.  (I say wildly gay because all the guys had costumes that showed off their torsos and all the girls had - like sheets on., he so could not be bothered with dressing girls - kind of like Oliver on Project Runway).
Kellan in Battle mode, and relaxing.  FYI - never saw him without a hat.
2. Here is Kellan Lutz outside of battled.  What is with the Bug Hat?  Turns out it is two of those spiral sea-shells, but when he walked around in this outfit, he looked like he had a golden Princess Leia wig on.
.
Kellan in the  Princess Leia mode.
So I am either, go full out for the goofiness - or tone it down.  Just when I was about to laugh my ass off, some other semi-serious thing happened.
.
And the accents!!!  Good for Tarrsen to pick an international cast.  But have them all pick an accent and stick with it.  Zeus spoke British English.  Thesius spoke more lightly accented, lilting British Accent. Poseidon spoke American English.  Stephen Dorf (looking buff as hell) spoke Californian so heavy I expected a "Dude, come on!" at any minute.  And the Virgin Oracle spoek with a soft Indian (dot not feather) accent.  It was disconserting in the beginning.  But as Ed said, if that was your biggest problem with reality and the movie...