Sunday, July 22, 2012

You can't imagine the pride at seeing this, for me...

The military in San Diego gave special one off permission for Service Personnel to wear their uniforms in San Diego's Gay Pride Parade.
.
Now for a lot of you who aren't gay - you might not understand what an amazing thing this is.  But for me - this is... well.. unbelievable.  I remember the first time Police were allowed to march in the Gay Pride parade.  I remember the first time the LA Sheriff's meet with the community to work together.
.
I've known many many many gay military people in my time from behind the bar in West Hollywood.  Their pride in their service and their country - but the hushed tones that they would have use when discussing it.
.
The story discussed how the military in the San Diego pride got the loudest applause, the big yells, the most tears.  San Diego may be a huge city, but in many ways it is a small military town.  And for years (I went to Grad School at UC San Diego) you could meet all the military you wanted in bars, both straight and gay.  Being gay and military in San Diego was a fairly open secret, but one that could always be used against you if they wanted to.  For the city and the military to embrace service members, regardless of orientation - well that is fucking great.
.
Regardless of sexual orientation is music to my ears.  It means people are judged on WHO they are, not who they might be in love with.
.
Bravo!
.
(Large Pics because I am happy - courtesy of AP).
For many Veterans - these moment is sweeter than I can imagine.

These are a group of military veterans (in the T-shirts)

Seriously great.

Marching, in uniform, by special dispensation from the Pentagon for this one time.
So my heartfelt thanks to the military is always there.  To be able to honor these people as well is just extra for me.