Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Good Boy

So we were in the elevator today, and there was a little boy (maybe 4) who was a little trepidatious  around Trevor.  Not scared, exactly, but not full on comfortable either.  Well, we had just been to the pet store and the owner gives us 2 treats.  I usually give 1 to him right then, and save the other for home.
.
I decided to give the boy the treat and I told him to have Trevor sit.  He takes it, and kind of tentatively says, "sit". And I say, no - you have to make him think you're in charge.
.
So he straightened himself up and said, "Sit" in a confident voice and Trevor sat and then took the treat the boy handed him.
.
Now this works great because Trevor is dainty and doesn't just wolf down a treat, he takes it cautiously to make sure he likes it.
.
The boy was excited and as he and his dad left the elevator I hear him say, "Did you see?  That was the first time I ever did that and the dog sat!"