Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Memory #1

So Christmas in California is always a little weird to other people, so I thought I would share some things that seemed totally normal to me, but maybe a little off to others.
.
For my family, Christmas was about 3 things, presents, family and presents.
.
This isn't as greedy as it seemed.  My Aunt Martha had downs syndrome, and Christmas for her was all about the gifts.  And, when a family member has downs - sometimes what they get really excited for, you get excited for.
.
Afton, Martha and I on Christmas morning (Martha just got a "zonk") which is why the hidden face.

And so, we always went over board on presents.  Truly, I know this now, but not when I was younger.
.
And family.  Most times people in Los Angeles (at least in the 70s and 80s) had left their family somewhere else - so who ever was in the state we all got together.  In the  picture above, Afton was my Grandmother's Brother's Wife.  Martha is sitting in the holiday chair, waiting for presents to be delivered.  And I am "dressed up" handing them out.
.
You will also notice the open door and sunshine outside.  Christmas seemed cold to us in LA, but by the time the presents were ready to be opened, breakfast had already been cooked and the house was overheating.