Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Really Surprised by Golden Boy

Yvonne Strahovski & Seth Numrich
I saw Golden Boy today at the matinee.  I have to say, I was really (pleasantly) surprised.  I have never seen the movie (I don't like boxing movies in general), so I didn't know much of the plot past - man has to choose between boxing and music.
.
But it was great.  Written in 1930s in a very realistic way, it was probably quite racy back then.  It was handled perfectly; everyone played it straight from the no real cursing to the tragic blonde who's been around the block too often.
.
It could have come off has half-assed melodrama, but it didn't.  For that kudos have to go to the leads (Seth Numrich & Yvonne Strahovski) as well as some amazing performances by Tony Shalub as the father and Danny Burnstein as the trainer.
.
Loved it.
.
Tony Shalub with Seth Numrich

San with Danny Berstein.  Bad picture, but the only one I saw.  Danny was amazing.