Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Update on the Trevor Project and the 49er

Culliver, having a very bad SuperBowl
So Chris Culliver had a horrible Super Bowl.  I would like to enjoy that, give the idiot things he said, but I like the 49ers - so I was double annoyed.
.
However, I am much less annoyed by the Trevor Project now.
.
After finding out that Young Hateful Mr. Culliver was going The Trevor Project to get "educated" about gay issues, I went off.  Not only on Nincompoopery (LINK), but I wrote a more thoughtful letter to the organization.
.
The guts of my letter is noted below:
.

Are my donations paying for "education" for Chris Culliver of the San Francisco 49'ers?  One of the reason we stopped contributing to the HRC is because it became a juggernaut for self-promotion and public relations stunts.  We have donated to the Trevor Project because it goes to help youth in crisis.  If it is moving to be a public relationship white-wash organization I am afraid we will have nothing more to do with it.

Please keep this in mind as you move the Trevor Project away from the charter of supporting LGBT(QA) youth in crisis.

I could not be more disappointed.

.
After some email exchanges with the project, the Executive Director reached out to me.  I spoke with Ms. Lane about my reaction.  In particular, I explained that I do not want this organization, devoted to helping young in crisis, to become a public relations prop.  She seems aware of that possibility and said they agreed only after speaking to the young man (only old folks like me and her would call an adult professional player a "young man").  She believes his sincerity and doesn't plan on this being a go to resolution for bad public performances.
.
After making my point to her, and listening to hers - I agreed to see how this plays out.  We both recommitted to point of the Trevor Project as a resource for young people. I really appreciated her call.  She also said she appreciated the chance to speak with me, and that I would take the time to write them, not just trash them.