Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Road Test, NIKE Fuel v Jawbone UP

My Nike Fuel ® broke a while back a died an ugly death; it couldn't update it's internal firmware - reinstall.  Then reinstall again (no good).  Then reset and reinstall (no good).  After days of reinstalling and checking web FAQs, and resetting and restoring, I finally had to admit my toy had died and threw it away.
.
And so I searched for a new one.  At the Apple Store I saw a Nike Fuel, but I didn't like the color (clear? really?), but I did see a lovely Jawbone UP ®.  This was sparkly and colorful and I, being a magpie at heart, decided I must have it.
.
The UP was even better as I explored it's various colors (I got electric blue, being the shy boy I am) and it's fabulous iPhone Ap.
.
But after a couple weeks of use, I must say, I like the Nike Fuel better.  Why?
.
Well, there are positive points about the Fuel and negative points about the UP, so let's go shall we?
.
1) The Fuel is more feedback positive.  The Nike Fuel has the little racer lights across the bottom that light up as you get closer to your goal.  In the picture, only 1 red light shows, because I just put it on (it is Ed's actually).  But as you do more during the day and you get closer to your goal, the lights get red, then amber, then green - as you get closer.  The little "irish jig" it performs when you hit your goal at the end doesn't help me, but it probably helps others.
.
2) The Fuel has a watch.  Funny, I don't wear a watch and don't need a watch and I wouldn't buy a watch (that wasn't a pretty knock off).  But occasionally you might want to see the time without grabbing your phone.  I noticed that when I was walking with Ed, I would ask him the time, because it is right there on his wrist.
.
3) The UP has this great sleep recorder - but it doesn't work.  So the UP tracks your sleep cycle, which is very cool.  Really VERY COOL.  How much is deep sleep, vs. light sleep, vs. awake.  But it must wake out of "sleeping" mode pretty easily, because every night when I wake up to pee, it turns to active mode.  Being 54, I get up to pee a lot.  A LOT.  I try to remember to check and reset it to sleep, but that isn't very restful - so the point is lost.
.
4) The UP ap is cooler. It just is, but this is an Ap issue and Nike can meet this challenge.  And to work the Ap you need to add your food, tell you mood and all.  And that was fine, IF it tracked as it was suppose to.  But it kept falling out of sleep, so I don't believe it.
.
The end result is that NIKE Fuel should probably fix its Ap, but it is a much more proactive tool than the Jawbone Up.
.
Anyway, that is my 2 cents (unpaid).