Friday, December 06, 2013

Travnik was cool, but I could have broken a hip

These pictures are taken from the old fortress atop Travnik.  It was very nice (albeit cold).

I was the only one up there.  The town has lovely mosques all around.

This is the way up to the fortress.  It doesn't look step, but looko back up at picture number 2, that is the same bridge from a better angle.  And it was as icy as heck (hell being hot and all).  I have hiking tennis shoes, but frozen rubber and ice to not make a good mix. 

I'm okay.. but it was a close call.  I got about a 1/3 of the way up and seriously thought about turning around.

---

The drive from Travnik to Jajce was the most vivid reminder of the war I have seen in person.  The area is on the main road from BanuLuka (Serbian semi-state capital) to Sarajevo via Zeinke (a major manufacturing hub.  The area was captured, lost, recaptured, relost and on and on.  There are lots and lots of bombeed buildings in everytown. 

One town was destroyed.  It was across the river from the road, and you could see all the destruction, leveled commmercial buildings, bombed homes, no church / mosque of any kind standing.  The sign pointed to the town with the name (which I forget) and just past it was an old sign to a market over there or something.  But spray painted in fading bright yellow were the words "Pray For Us".  And the empty town.  I don't have a single word to describe it.