Friday, May 01, 2015

Mascot of the Month: Angels Flight


I always think of this little railroad when I hear people say, "And may flights of Angels sing thee to thy rest..."  And if you had seen as much Hamlet as I have, you would have heard it too often.
.
Anyway from 1901 to 1969 Angels Flight, the "Worlds' Shortest Railway" moved people from the bottom to the top of Bunker Hill.
Before the "New Bunker Hill" development, but you can see Jacarandas on the right of the picture and the top picture from recently.
But when Bunker Hill was redone as the new financial district, the little railroad was pulled down.  It was always said it would be rebuilt at some point, but no one believed them.  To everyone's surprise it was rebuilt - across the tunnel from where it was originally.  And there is stays.  The engine ran from 1996 - 2001 when an accident closed it (re-engineered - phfft).  Apparently after the accident (and deaths) the owner was never found or heard from again!
.
It was reopened in 2003, closed in 2010 (after another accident), reopened in 2011 and was closed again in 2013.  There is a great website about it HERE.

.
Anyway, Angel's Flight was very cool.  My parents took me while they were still married before it was torn down (the first time).  I loved it.  Years later I took Eddie on it (and we were not in an accident).