Monday, June 15, 2015

Edward Petherbridge as (Lord Peter Whimsey)

Petherbridge as Lord Peter Whimsey
I went to see "A Perfect Mind" the other day (review out tomorrow) with Edward Petherbridge, a famous British actor.
.
By "famous", of course, I mean famous in England.  I mean he is a big-ass deal there.  He originated the role of Gildenstern in Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead - a famous Tom Stoppard play.  He worked with Laurence Olivier's company in the 1960s (Sir Larry is merciless parodied in the show I saw).  And he is famous for his Shakespeare roles.
.
And yet.
.
Most Americans if they know him at all, know him as the fussy Lord Peter Whimsey from British TV.  I sat in a small theater off-Broadway and reviewed a man who has had sell-out shows in the West End and at the Globe.
.
Fame is an odd beast.
In A Perfect Mind