Friday, July 10, 2015

Tarsem Singh; I didn't know he was behind Self/less

Ryan Reynolds in Self/less
 Self/less is a new movie with Ryan Reynolds.  And Ryan Reynolds is very fun when the movie is good (but he cannot save a bad movie at all - Green Lantern pops painfully to mind).
.
Then as I was reading the review I see it is a Tarsen Singh movie.  I LOVE Tarsen Singh.  Sure except for the "The Fall" most of his movies aren't great, but the are beautiful.
.
His visual vocabulary is so amazing it actually makes me use words like "visual vocabulary".  I have, in fact, purchased each of his movies on DVD and watch them every now and then.  Here are some, and just look at the visuals.
.
 
Prince Charming and Snow White in Mirror Mirror
.
The Gods in The Immortals

The human hero in The Immortals
.
Then there is "The Fall", which cannot be captured by a single image.  It is too full, too jam-packed.  It is a story within a story, where a very ill Lee Pace tells the story of a hero to a young girl in a hospital.  They are trapped in a sepia world (although filmed in color) of tans and browns and death.  But the story is bright, huge and world spanning.  I dare you to watch this and not be swept away!
.
The hospital

The heroes