Tuesday, April 22, 2008

First Women's Marathon Winner, finishes Boston Marathon

Okay, Joan Benoit (Samuelson) is my hero. In 1984 in Los Angeles (the best Olympics ever) Joan Benoit won the very first women's marathon. Up until the 1950s, women didn't compete past 400 meters because it was thought to be too hard on the fairer sex.

This past week-end Joan Benoit Samuelson, at 50 years of age (old than even I) ran the Boston Marathon and finished under 2 hours and 50 minutes. She sent a new record for her age group. I can't run for the bus without huffing a puffing. She is my hero. Here are then and now pictures.

You go Joan!!! (PS,women marathon runners, although spectacular healthy, not real lookers.)
And yes, ever time I say "in 1984 in Los Angeles" I do add the parenthetical "The Best Olympics Ever".