Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Univ. of Minnesota's Weisman Art Museum

Frank Gehry - in his shiny deconstruction phase - designed the Wiesman Art Museum at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.  The outside is typical of his Bilbao / LA Disney Concert Hall form.
.
We visited the museum before the game, and I will say I loved the interior space.  However derivative the outside may get sometimes (really, throw some blacks and grays into the mix!) the interior of the building is stunning.  It is the same with the Disney Concert Hall.  So his method produces some amazing spaces.
.
Pictures follow:
.
The entrance, where he contrasted the metal with brick.  This makes me rethink my recommendation on "mixing it up".

Soaring interior spaces, and light wells were fantastic

Cool site specific installation with a old hotel hallway made deeper by forced perspective.  You could walk into it.

Hufe.  I loved this bad boy!  I mean, it was so Suessical.


It wasn't this warm when we were there.  This is a stock photo of the site.